Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Grand Saline

This past Wednesday (5/30) Jason and I set out for the little East Texas town of Grand Saline - Home of the Morton Salt Company! For those that don't know, this is where Jason grew up. We went down there to see his childhood buddy, Chris Tomlin, perform a free concert at the annual Salt Festival. It was quite amusing for me... I got to see the crowning of this year's 'Salt Queen'... hear a rodeo guy talk about rodeoing (is that a word?) and drive through a town named Elmo! I think the town of Grand Saline is one of the bigger towns around (about 2600 people)... I mean they have a Sonic and everything. The Sonic is/was such a hit that they had to install a red light in front of it because of all the traffic. Grand Saline also has the famous Salt Palace Museum... check out this pic:

This 'Palace' is the only building in North America made of pure rock salt. It's true, too... just ask Jason how yummy it is!

No comments: